Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Hanami Experience (The Cherry Blossoms of Naka-Meguro)

I haven't seen cherry blossoms, popularly known as sakura, before my second visit to Japan. I often talk with my Japanese students and most of them told me that spring is the best season because the cherry blossoms are very beautiful. I couldn't understand how they feel towards spring, cherry blossoms or hanami because I've never seen or experienced those. Hanami is the Japanese term for cherry blossom viewing. During this time, people  go to the parks, enjoy eating, drinking and having fun under the cherry trees.

When I visited Japan for the second time, it was the middle of winter. I was very skeptical about seeing the cherry blossoms before going back to the Philippines because the news report said that this year was rather cold. Consequently, cherry blossoms will bloom a little later. This is actually the reason why I went plum blossom viewing. Luckily though, it got warmer and warmer and the sakura bloomed a week earlier than expected.

I went to Naka-Meguro with a friend and her daughter to see the cherry blossoms. Hanami in Naka-Meguro was different because the cherry trees were lined up along the stretch of Meguro river; disabling people to lay mats and sit down. 


There were a lot of people enjoying the cherry blossoms. They were indeed beautiful.


The atmosphere was great. There were a lot of shops selling beer, sausages, churros, and many more.. I got myself a glass of martini.


A lot of people took photos of the cherry blossoms and a lot of them also asked me to take their group picture. My friend, her daughter, and I walked back and forth without feeling tired. My friend's daughter was holding my hand. Sweet! Anyway, back to the cherry blossoms, I tried to capture close up photos, too. 


There was even a short-span, red arch bridge in the area. 


May I just add that I got really into the colorful lanterns. I got so into them that I took a lot pf photos. Here's an example. I think they had a dramatic effect. 


I went home happy. My first ever hanami experience, though nontraditional, was really great. It was about being in a nice place, seeing the beautiful cherry blossoms and being with good friends.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

4 comments

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
© 2011 bridges, lenses, and motherhood
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top