Sunday, July 28, 2013

Edo-Tokyo Museum plus Eating Like a Sumo Wrestler

Edo-Tokyo museum is located in Ryogoku, Tokyo. This museum shows Japanese life during Edo period until the modern time. By the way, Ryogoku is a place popular for sumo wrestling.

I went to the museum with my friend and her cute daughter. The museum allows photos to be taken although there were areas where flash is not allowed so I took loads of them using my phone.  

I was amazed with how well-made the miniatures were. Just by looking at them, one would have a good grasp of Edo period. 







Some buildings built many years ago still exist now. For example, the photo below is a miniature of Ginza. According to my friend, some buildings there are still being used now, although they must have undergone renovation. 


Japan's rich culture can also be seen in the exhibit. 



In 1964, Japan hosted the Oympics and they are actually in a bid to host the 2020 Olympics.


There were also replicas of popular landmarks inside the museum.

forgot what this is

Nihonbashi
I even rode on a bicycle inside.


And after walking around, it's time for dinner. I think I mentioned earlier that Ryogoku is popular for sumo wrestling. My friend made a reservation at a restaurant where we can eat Chanko nabe. Chanko nabe is chowed down by sumo wrestlers as part of their WEIGHT-GAIN diet. I really have to use all caps there. We ordered a serving of chanko nabe and we hardly finished it.



And a special treat, sashimi; I've really gotten used to eating raw fish.


My friend did a really good job explaining the exhibit to me so I think I learned quite a lot about Edo period. It was a fun and memorable experience for me. 
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
© 2011 bridges, lenses, and motherhood
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top