Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fresh Spring Rolls (Chicken Version)

It's Sunday once again so I went to the nearby supermarket to buy a week's amount of food. I frequent 2 supermarkets in this area, supermarket A and B. Supermarket A is also frequented by my colleagues because they sell stuff at a lower price. At the same time, supermarket A sells a lot of things you won't find in other supermarkets like, pig's tail and ears, Asian condiments and a lot of frozen goods. While I buy most of my veggies, fruits and meat from supermarket A, I still visit supermarket B to buy fishes, pita bread and tortilla wraps because supermarket A doesn't sell them. I went to both supermarkets today.

I still haven't decided what to cook for lunch so I just walked around checking every aisle. In one of the aisles in supermarket A, I saw rice papers (rice wrappers) and I instantly thought of making fresh spring rolls. I wasn't really sure what to buy to make spring rolls but I just put what I thought I would need into my shopping basket.

Ingredients

1 pack rice paper (1 pack contains about 15 sheets)
250 grams chicken breast
1 medium carrot, sliced thinly lengthwise
1 medium cucumber, sliced the same way as the carrot
1 cup cooked rice vermicelli

While the recipe I read used shrimp, I used chicken breast in my spring rolls. Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and pepper then fry it in olive oil. Remove excess oil from the chicken using paper towels. Let it cool and slice thinly.

Next is to slowly soak the rice papers in warm water for about a minute or until it softens. Don't leave it in the water for a long time or it will easily tear. I tried using just one sheet first but it was a bit difficult so I used 2 sheets for one roll.


Arrange the carrots, cucumber, chicken and vermicelli on top of the rice paper.


Fold the the rice paper on both sides then roll from the bottom to the top and..... that's it!


I didn't make my own sauce. I bought a bottle of plum sauce from the supermarket and it tasted perfect with the spring rolls.


I'll try making a different version next time. This recipe is so flexible you can make your own version.


Itadakimasu! 
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
© 2011 bridges, lenses, and motherhood
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top